Texas Missions Trip: Day 2, Part 2…

As most of you probably read, Day 2 was going to be split into two blog entries. I ran out of time last night and didn’t get to write the second entry, so I am doing it now (Day 3 at 8:30 in the morning).

The rest of our day yesterday went pretty well. It was a laid back and relaxing kind of day! After church (which was awesome, in case you wanted to be reminded again), we went to wal-mart to get stocked up on water and brownie mix (the girls bought the brownie mix). It was interesting to see how many rows in wal-mart were devoted to juice, water, sports drinks, etc. We don’t have that much space for drinks at our wal-mart because we don’t have as good of a chance of getting dehydrated as you do here in Texas. Lots of heat requires lots of hydration and replenishing!

After our first wal-mart trip of the day, we drove to Mike and Debbie’s house (Keith and Betsy’s family) for authentic barbeque lessons. It ended up being not much of a lesson, but the food was absolutely incredible, so it was well worth it! Mike gave us a few pointers on how to cook but mostly we just hung out and talked while the food was cooking. He had a slow smoker that he built. The fire is in a cylinder shaped thing to the right of the grill part, then a tube goes from that into the section where you put the meat, and then a tube goes off of that and that is where the smoke comes out. You can also control how much smoke comes out, which helps it cook faster or slower. It was pretty interesting to see. Mike said he started cooking the brisket in the smoker at 5:30 that morning. And to help you get an idea of how long it was cooking, we ate at 2:00 PM. He also had three pretty decent sized chickens cooking on a regular grill. He called them “dancing chickens” because they were standing up while being cooked. You may find yourself asking “how do raw chickens stand up?” Well, allow me to tell you! You take a beer can, open it, and shove it up inside of the chicken. This helps keep the chicken moist for the entire time you are cooking it. You then put the chickens on a piece of foil on the grill (to catch all of the grease). Because they are standing up, all of the fat drips off of it. They are supposed to cook for 2 ½ hours.  It was the best chicken I ever tasted. I asked what kind of seasoning he used on it and he gave me a container of it to take home with me. So I will definitely be using that whenever I cook chicken in the future. Also, to let you know how good it was…if you know anything about me, you know that I love barbeque sauce on everything. But this chicken was so good (because of the spices and moistness of the meat) that I didn’t even consider getting barbeque sauce to dip it in. That Good!

img308 img307

After we ate, and ate, and ate some more, we all sat around talking and relaxing. Mike had a very relaxing roofed porch in his back yard. The guys sat around the table and talked while the girls sat in the kitchen and talked about girl things. We had a peach cobbler for dessert that was sooooo good! We left around 4:30 PM and came back to the house/cabin/mansion thing we are staying in to relax and hang out for the rest of the night.

img309 img311

The girls went for a bike ride, the guys watched movies and played on their iPods, and went to the pool to do some reading and relaxing. After about 5 minutes of reading and floating around on a raft, most of our group showed up to swim and play volleyball. After that we took a trip to sonic for milkshakes and some food. Then we went to wal-mart for our second visit of the day. The girls went in to buy eggs, butter, and other brownie making ingredients.


All in all, it was a good second part of the day. Tomorrow begins the real work. We will be helping Sheryl (the lady running the camp) get things set up and in order for when the kids get here tomorrow afternoon. It isn’t even 9:00 AM yet and it is blistering hot outside. I anticipate that there will be lots of sweating today.

I will write more later.

Until next time…

– paulg


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: